REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Using a puller, disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
- Loosen the jam nut and remove the tie rod ends from the tie rod. The outer end is left-hand threaded and the inner is right-hand threaded.
- Grease the tie rod threads and install the ends. Turn each end in an equal amount.
- Install the tie rod assembly on the steering knuckle and relay rod. Tighten the castellated nuts to 29-36 ft. lbs. Use new cotter pins.
- Adjust the toe-in as described under Wheel Alignment.
- Disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles with a puller.
- Again using the puller, disconnect the relay rod from the idler arm and the pitman arm.
- Remove the relay rod.
- Install the rod. Tighten the tie rod end nuts to 29-36 ft. lbs. Tighten the relay rod-to-pitman arm nut and relay rod-to-idler arm nut to 29-43 ft. lbs. Always use new cotter pins.
- Disconnect the idler arm from the relay rod using a puller.
- Remove the retaining bolts and the idler arm.
- Mount the idler arm on the frame and tighten the bolts to 25-29 ft. lbs.
- Attach the relay rod to the idler arm and tighten the stud nut to 29-43 ft. lbs. Use a new cotter pin.