REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Chrysler recommends no fluid or filter changes during the normal service life of the car. Severe usage requires a fluid and filter change every 15,000 miles (24,000 km). Severe usage is defined as:
When changing the fluid, only Dexron®II or it's superceding fluid should be used at every fluid change.
- Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands.
- Place a large container under the pan, loosen the pan bolts and tap at one corner to break it loose. Drain the fluid.
- When the fluid is drained remove the pan bolts.
- Remove the retaining screws and replace the filter. Tighten the screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Clean the fluid pan, peel off the old RTV silicone sealer and install the pan, using a 0.12 in. (3mm) bead of new RTV sealer. Always run the sealer bead inside the bolt holes. Tighten the pan bolts to 10-12 ft. lbs. (14-16 Nm).
- Pour the specified amount of Dexron®II or it's superceding fluid through the filler tube.
- Turn the engine ON and idle it for at least 2 minutes. Set the parking brake and move the selector through each position, ending in Park.
- Add sufficient fluid to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. The level should be checked in Park, with the engine idling at normal operating temperature.