REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the transaxle as described earlier.
Chrysler recommends the use of special tool L-4533 for disc alignment on the A-412 and tool C-4676 for the A-460, A-465 and A-525 transaxles.
- Loosen the flywheel-to-pressure plate bolts diagonally, one or two turns at a time to avoid warpage.
- Remove the flywheel and clutch disc from the plate.
- Remove the retaining ring and release plate.
- Diagonally loosen the pressure plate-to-crankshaft bolts. Mark all parts for reassembly.
- Remove the bolts, spacer and pressure plate.
- The flywheel and pressure plate surfaces should be cleaned thoroughly with fine sandpaper.
- It is a false economy to replace either the clutch disc or pressure plate separately, since this will only lead to premature failure of the other component. In order to reuse any of the components, the following conditions should be met:
- There should be no leakage from the rear main or transaxle front oil seals.
- The friction surface of the pressure plate should have a uniform appearance over the entire contact area. The plate may be improperly mounted or sprung if a heavy wear pattern occurs directly opposite a light pattern.
- The friction face of the flywheel should be free from discoloration, burned areas, cracks or grooves. The flywheel face must often be machined smooth before installing a new clutch.
- The disc should be free of oil or grease. Replace the disc if it is worn within 0.01 in. (0.4mm) of the rivet heads.
- Check the pressure plate for flatness. It should be flat within 0.02 in. (0.5mm) across the friction area, and be free from cracks, burns, grooves or ridges.
- Inspect the cover outer mounting flange for flatness, burrs, nicks, or dents.
- The 2 dowels in the flywheel should be tight and undamaged.
- Inspect the center of the release plate for cracks or heavy wear. Wear up to 0.001 in. (0.25mm) is acceptable.
If the clutch assembly does not meet these conditions, it should be replaced.
- Align marks and install the pressure plate, spacer and bolts. Coat the bolts with thread compound and tighten them to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install the release plate and retaining ring.
- Using special tool L-4533, C-4676 or their equivalent, install the clutch disc and flywheel on the pressure plate.
Make certain that the drilled mark on the flywheel is at the top, so that the two dowels on the flywheel align with the proper holes in the pressure plate.
- Install the six flywheel bolts and tighten them to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) on A-412 equipped models, and 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm) on A-460, A-465, and A-525 equipped models.
- Remove the aligning tool.
- Install the transaxle.
- If applicable, adjust the clutch free-play.