Chrysler recommends that the wires not be removed from the cap for any reason other than replacement of a damaged wire or a wire that shows too much resistance.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the distributor pickup lead wire at the harness. If so equipped, remove the splash shield.
- Remove the distributor cap.
- Matchmark the position of the rotor to the distributor, then the distributor to the block.
- Remove the distributor hold-down bolt.
- Carefully lift the distributor from the engine. The shaft will rotate slightly as the distributor is removed.
- If the engine has been cranked over while the distributor was removed, rotate the crankshaft until the number one piston is at TDC on the compression stroke. This will be indicated by the O mark on the flywheel aligning with the pointer on the clutch housing. Position the rotor just ahead of the No. 1 terminal of the cap and lower the distributor into the engine. With the distributor fully seated, the rotor should be directly under the No. 1 terminal.
- If the engine was not disturbed while the distributor was out, lower the distributor into the engine, engaging the gears and making sure that the gasket is properly seated in the block. The rotor should line up with the mark made before removal.
- Tighten the hold-down bolt and connect the wires. Install the distributor splash shield on models so equipped.
- Check and adjust the ignition timing.