REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Drain the cooling system.
- Using a drift and a hammer, strike the bottom edge of the cup plug.
- With the plug rotated, grasp firmly with pliers or an equivalent, and remove the plug.
- Fig. 2 After the plug is loosened, it can be removed from the block
Do not drive the plug into the casting, restricted cooling can result and cause serious engine problems.
- Thoroughly clean the inside of the plug hole in the cylinder block or head. Be sure to remove any old sealer.
- Lightly coat the inside of the plug hole with Loctite® or an equivalent. Make certain the new plug is clean before insertion.
- Using a drive tool, insert the plug into the hole so that the sharp edge of the plug is at least 0.02 in. (0.5mm) inside the chamfer.
- It will not be necessary to wait for curing of the sealant. The cooling system can be refilled and the vehicle driven immediately.