REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner and detach all vacuum lines, electrical connections and fuel line from the carburetor.
- Drain the cooling system. Remove the inlet hose from the water box to the heated intake manifold, then the outlet hose to the heater.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Disconnect the EGR tube at the manifold.
- Remove the eight mounting nuts and washers from the manifold and remove it from the engine.
- Remove the carburetor from the manifold.
- Clean all gasket surfaces, install new gaskets and tighten the mounting nuts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm). The remaining procedures are reverse the removal.