REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- From under the car:
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the articulated joint and the O 2 sensor.
- Remove the turbocharger-to-block support bracket.
- Loosen the clamps for the oil drain-back tube and then move the tube downward onto the block fitting so it no longer connects with the turbocharger.
- Disconnect the turbocharger coolant supply tube at the block outlet below the power steering pump bracket and at the tube support bracket.
- Disconnect and remove the air cleaner complete with the throttle body adaptor, hose, and air cleaner box and support bracket.
- Loosen the throttle body to turbocharger inlet hose clamps. Then, remove the three throttle body-to-intake manifold attaching screws and remove the throttle body.
- Loosen the turbocharger discharge hose end clamps, leaving the center band in place to retain the de-swirler.
- Pull the fuel rail out of the way after removing the hose retaining bracket screw, four bracket screws from the intake manifold, and two bracket-to-heat shield retaining clips. The rail, injectors, wiring harness, and fuel lines will be moved as an assembly.
- Disconnect the oil feed line at the turbocharger bearing housing.
- Remove the three screws attaching the heat shield to the intake manifold and remove the shield.
- Disconnect the coolant return tube and hose assembly at the turbocharger and water box. Remove the tube support bracket from the cylinder head and remove the assembly.
- Remove the four nuts attaching the turbocharger to the exhaust manifold. Then, remove the turbocharger by lifting it off the exhaust manifold studs, tilting it downward toward the passenger side of the car, and then pulling it up and out of the car, and out of the engine compartment.
- When repositioning the turbo on the mounting studs, make sure the discharge tube goes in position so it's properly connected to both the intake manifold and turbocharger. Apply an anti-seize compound such as Loctite® 771-64 or equivalent to the threads. Tighten the nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
Observe the following torques:
- When installing the turbocharger-to-block support bracket, first install screws finger-tight. Tighten the block screw to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), then tighten the screw going into the turbocharger housing to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). Tighten the articulated ball joint shoulder bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Make sure to fill the cooling system back up before starting the engine, recheck the level after the coolant begins circulating through the radiator, and check for leaks after you install the pressure cap. Check the turbocharger carefully for any oil leaks and correct if necessary.