REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the door light wiring harness on models so equipped.
- Remove the door opening check strap.
- Support the door in the opened position. Use special tool C-4614 or C-4716 or equivalent, (depending on the size of the hinge pin) and remove the lower hinge pin. Insert special tool C-4741 or equivalent, in place of the pin.
- Remove the upper hinge pin using the suitable special tool. Remove the lower alignment tool and remove the door.
- Grind a chamfer on the hinge pins to make installation easier.
- Install the door into the opening using alignment tools C-4741 or equivalent, in place of the hinge pins.
- Use a small hammer and drive in the upper hinge pin from the bottom. Drive in the lower hinge pin from the top.
- Install the door check strap, then reconnect the wiring harness on models so equipped.
The door hinges are welded to both the door panels and the door pillar. Fore and aft, up and down adjustments may be accomplished by bending the hinges using a special tool C-4736 or equivalent. Before bending the hinges, check for correct engagement of the door striker plate. Check hinge pin fit and condition and check for proper weatherstrip installation.
Bend the hinges as follows:
- Examine the door fit to determine which direction is necessary to bend the hinge for correct alignment.
- Place the adjusting tool C-4736 or equivalent, in position on the hinge to be corrected. The tool must be slipped completely over the hinge to prevent damage to the tool or the hinge.
- Slowly apply pressure to bend the hinge. Check frequently until correct alignment is achieved.
The door latch should engage the striker squarely. The door should not rise up or down on the striker as it is closed. After the striker is adjusted the door should fit flush with the adjoining sheet metal. If necessary, adjust the striker as follows:
- Mark the location of the striker for reference.
- Loosen the striker attaching screws.
- Move the striker to the desired location and tighten the mounting screws.
- Check alignment, readjust if necessary.