The engine is timed on No. 1 cylinder, which is the passenger's side of the car.
- Connect a timing light according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Run the engine to normal operating temperature.
- Make sure the idle speed is correct.
- Loosen the distributor hold-down screw just enough so that the distributor can be rotated.
- Ground the carburetor switch on models so equipped.
- Disconnect and plug the vacuum line at the Spark Control Computer (if so equipped).
- Remove the timing hole access cover and aim the timing light at the hole in the clutch housing. Carefully rotate the distributor until the mark is aligned with the pointer on the flywheel housing.
- Tighten the distributor and recheck the timing.
- Check, and if necessary adjust, the idle speed.