REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Cover all areas around the windshield to prevent damage to the finish.
- Remove the windshield wiper arm and blade assemblies. Remove the windshield mouldings that interfere with windshield replacement.
- Use an electric knife (Miller Tool No. 4386, or the equivalent) and cut the existing butyl tape as close as possible to the mounting flange of the windshield frame. Remove the windshield.
- Remove all remaining adhesive from the mounting flange with naphtha or comparable solvent.
- Apply butyl primer (Chrysler No. 3500883, or the equivalent) on the mounting flange and butyl tape remnants.
- Start at either side of the windshield body opening and apply the butyl tape to the frame, with the tapered edge of the tape facing the reveal surface.
- Cut off the excess tape and butt joint the ends. Apply sufficient pressure to ensure a good seal.
- Clean the bonding surfaces of the windshield glass with clean cheesecloth moistened with Super-Kleen (Chrysler No. 4026030 or equivalent). Wipe off immediately with another piece of clean cheesecloth.
- Apply butyl glass primer to the entire bonding surface of the windshield glass, both the inside surface and the edges. Allow the primer to dry for five minutes.
- Locate the windshield in the center of the opening and make contact with the tape. Place spacers at the bottom of the glass between the glass edge and body opening. Locate one spacer on each side of the glass, over the site of the original spacer. Select spacers, or combination of spacers that will ensure a snug fit between the glass edge and frame while keeping the glass centered.
- Use maximum hand pressure to push the glass down against the tape.
- Inspect the bond. If the contact between the glass and tape is poor, repeat maximum hand pressure. The bond should be 1 / 4 in. (6mm) wide or greater.
- Check the spacers to make sure they are in the proper location.
- Water test the seal. Repair any leaks with secondary sealer application.
- Install any trim molding and the wiper arm and blade assemblies.