REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the car.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Disconnect the brake cable from the connector.
- Remove the retaining clip from the rear cable bracket.
- Take off the brake drum.
- Remove the brake shoe return springs.
- Take off the brake shoe retaining springs.
- Remove the brake shoe strut and spring and disconnect the cable from the operating arm.
- Compress the retainers on the end of the brake cable housing and remove the cable.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Adjust the service and parking brakes and test the operation of both.
The cable operated parking brake is adjusted at the equalizer (connector) under the car.
- Adjust the service brakes.
- Release the parking brake lever and back off the parking brake cable until there is slack in the cable.
- Clean and lubricate the adjuster threads.
- Use a brake spoon to turn the starwheel adjuster until there is light shoe-to-drum contact. Back off the starwheel until the wheel rotates freely with no brake drag.
- Tighten the parking brake adjustment until a slight drag is felt while rotating the wheels.
- Loosen the cable adjusting nut until both rear wheels can be rotated freely, then back the cable adjuster nut off 2 full turns.
- Apply the parking brake. The wheels should not turn. Relieve the parking brake. The rear wheels should rotate freely without dragging.