REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except Pickup Models
The use of a coil spring compressor, such as Chrysler part #L-4514, is necessary.
- Remove the shock and spring assembly.
- Install the spring compressor on the spring and place it in a vise.
- Tighten the retractors evenly until pressure is removed from the upper spring seat.
- Loosen the retaining nut.
- Remove the lower isolator, pushrod sleeve, and upper spring seat.
- Carefully slip the strut from the spring.
- Remove the rebound bumper and dust shield from the strut.
- Remove the lower spring seat.
- Carefully and evenly, remove the compressor from the spring.
- Install the compressor on the spring, gripping four or five coils.
- Compress the spring.
- Install the lower spring seat, dust shield and rebound bumper on the strut.
- Slip the unit inside the coil spring and install the upper spring seat.
- Make sure that the level surfaces on the seats are in position with the spring.
- Install the sleeve on the pushrod and install the retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 20 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install the lower isolator.
- Install the strut and spring assembly.
- Raise the vehicle and support the frame on jackstands while relieving the weight on the rear springs.
- Disconnect the rear brake proportioning valve spring. Disconnect the lower ends of the shock absorbers at the axle brackets.
- Loosen and remove the U-bolt nuts and remove the U-bolts and spring plates.
- Lower the rear axle assembly, allowing the springs to hang free.
- Loosen and remove the front pivot bolt from the front spring hanger.
- Loosen and remove the rear spring shackle nuts and remove the shackles from the spring.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, tighten the U-bolts to 601 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).