Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONNever open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant.
- Drain the engine coolant below the level of the thermostat housing or intake manifold.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly if necessary for access to the sensor.
- On 5.7L engines, carefully unbolt air conditioning compressor from front of engine. Do not disconnect any A/C hoses from compressor. Temporarily support compressor to gain access to ECT sensor.
- Remove the connector from the sensor. On 3.7L and 4.7L engines with air conditioning it may be helpful to fabricate an L-shaped hook tool from a wire coat hanger about 8 in. long. Use the hook for removal rather than pulling on the wiring harness.
- Disconnect electrical connector from sensor.
Remove sensor from intake manifold or cylinder block.
- Install the sensor and tighten to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the connector on the sensor. There is no polarity: the connector cannot be accidentally reversed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Inspect for leaks.
- Install the engine cover.