- Remove the intermediate shaft pinch bolt.
- Slide the intermediate shaft off the steering gear input shaft.
- Disconnect the power steering lines.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the steering sector shaft arm drag link castellated nut.
- Remove the cotter pin and remove the nut
- Separate the steering sector shaft arm drag link using a Pitman Arm Puller.
- Remove the three steering gear bolts and the steering gear
- Secure the steering gear in a bench vise, and remove the sector shaft arm nut and lockwasher.
- Use Pitman Arm Puller to remove the steering gear sector shaft arm.
- Purge the power steering system of air.
Reverse the removal procedure to install noting the following torques:
- Tighten the steering gear bolts to 59 ft. lbs. (70 Nm)
- Tighten the line fittings to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Tighten the sector shaft arm nut to 200 ft. lbs. (270 Nm)
- Tighten the intermediate shaft bolt to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Tighten the sector arm drag link nut to 72 (91 Nm).
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Place the wheels in the straight-ahead position.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Pressure and return lines. Cap the openings.
Install or connect the following:
Splash shield on the steering gear lugs
Center the steering gear input shaft with the indexing flat facing downward.
Steering gear input shaft into the flex coupling and into place on the frame side rail
- Fill the steering reservoir.
- Run the engine and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to expel air. Check for leaks.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTENew O-ring seals must be installed any time the lines are disconnected from the steering gear.
Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position and the ignition switch in the OFF position.
WARNINGDo not allow the steering column shaft to rotate while the intermediate shaft is disconnected or damage to the clockspring can result. If there is evidence that the shaft has rotated, the clockspring must be removed and recentered.
- Remove the bolt and detach the intermediate shaft from the gear.
- Disconnect the lines. Discard the O-ring seals.
- With vehicle in Neutral , place on a hoist.
- Remove and discard the cotter pin and nut.
- Using a puller, separate the drag link.
- Remove the bolts and the steering gear.
- Secure the steering gear in a vise and remove the nut and lockwasher.
- Using the special tool, remove the steering gear sector shaft arm.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Note the following torques:
Pinch bolt: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Install a new high pressure hose O-ring seal and a new return hose O-ring seal.
- Fill and leak check the system.