Do not remove the steering column, steering wheel, steering wheel pad horn switch and air bag module from the vehicle as an assembly unless the column is locked to prevent rotation. The lower end of the steering shaft should be wired to prevent the steering wheel from being rotated.
Center the front wheels to the straight-ahead position.
WARNINGThe backup power supply must be discharged before any air bag component is repaired.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- On models with dual batteries, remove the auxiliary battery frame ground bolt and pull the cable away from the frame and make sure the cable does not contact the frame.
- Remove the two access covers and two air bag module or horn pad retaining nuts from the air bag module on the back side of the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the horn electrical connector.
- Disconnect the clockspring electrical connector.
- Lift the module away from the steering wheel.
- Place the module face down on a work bench.
- Disconnect the air bag wire harness connectors and remove the module from the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the horn/speed control wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining bolt.
- Use a suitable steering wheel puller and remove the steering wheel. Route the contact assembly wire harnesses through the steering wheel as the steering wheel is lifted off the shaft.
- Make sure the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
Route the air bag sliding contact or horn pad wire harnesses through the steering wheel opening at the 3 o'clock position. Position the steering wheel on the steering shaft so the alignment marks are aligned. Make sure the air bag contact wire is not pinched.
CAUTIONMake sure the wiring does not get trapped between the steering wheel and air bag sliding contact (all except Commercial Chassis) or steering wheel horn contact (Commercial Chassis).
- Install a new steering wheel retaining bolt, and tighten to 28 ft. lbs. (38 Nm).
- Connect the horn/speed control wire harness to the contact wire harness and snap the connector onto the steering wheel clip.
- On all except Commercial Chassis, connect the air bag wire harness from the air bag clockspring to the air bag module and install the module to the steering wheel. Tighten the module retaining nuts and install the retaining nut access covers.
- On Commercial Chassis, connect the horn and wire harness to the horn pad, and install the horn pad to the steering wheel.
- When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to relearn the strategy.
- Reconnect the battery ground cable and on dual battery models, the ground cable at the chassis.
- On all except Commercial Chassis, verify air bag warning indicator operation.