A ferromagnetic toothed wheel is attached to the crankshaft. The fixed engine speed sensor scans the teeth of the toothed wheel as they pass by. The passing teeth induce an alternating sinusoidal voltage which is amplified and shaped to a constant square wave for further processing.
Removal & Installation
M112 & M113 Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
- Remove engine trim panel.
- Detach the electrical connector at the intake camshaft Hall sensor.
- Remove bolt.
Remove intake camshaft Hall sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Replace sealing rings.
- Tighten camshaft position sensor to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).
All Mercedes Benz electronic testing is performed by reading the fault memory of ME control unit and if necessary, working through test schedules contained in the Star Diagnosis tool.