A ferromagnetic toothed wheel is attached to the crankshaft. The fixed engine speed sensor scans the teeth of the toothed wheel as they pass by. The passing teeth induce an alternating sinusoidal voltage which is amplified and shaped to a constant square wave for further processing.
Removal & Installation
M112 & M113 Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
- Remove air filter housing.
- Remove hot film mass air flow sensor.
- Remove air duct housing.
- Release and disconnect electrical connector at crankshaft Hall sensor.
- Remove bolt.
Pull crankshaft Hall sensor out of crankcase.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Tighten crankshaft Hall sensor to crankcase bolt to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).
- Carry out first initialization and then sensor rotor adaptation using Star Diagnosis tool.
All Mercedes Benz electronic testing is performed by reading the fault memory of ME control unit and if necessary, working through test schedules contained in the Star Diagnosis tool.