The KS sensor enables the ME engine controller to control the ignition timing for the best possible performance while protecting the engine from potentially damaging levels of detonation. The control module uses the KS sensor to test for abnormal engine noise that may indicate detonation, also known as spark knock.
Removal & Installation
M112 & M113 Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions.
- Remove air filter housing.
- Remove resonance intake manifold.
- Disconnect electrical connector at right knock sensor or left knock sensor.
Remove bolt and take out right knock sensor or left knock sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Tighten knock sensor to crankcase bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect STAR DIAGNOSIS or equivalent scan tool and read out fault memory.
All Mercedes Benz electronic testing is performed by reading the fault memory of ME control unit and if necessary, working through test schedules contained in the STAR DIAGNOSIS tool.