REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel tank cap and release the pressure from the fuel system at the Schrader (pressure relief) valve of the fuel rail assembly, using Fuel Pressure Gauge T80L-9974-B or equivalent.
- For the 2.5L engine, remove the three bolts retaining the fuel supply manifold shield, then remove the shield.
- Tag and remove the vacuum line(s) at the pressure regulator.
- Remove the two fuel rail-to-lower intake manifold retaining bolts. Carefully lift the fuel rail (regulator side only) off of the injectors to gain access to the regulator retaining screws.
- Remove the three Allen retaining screws from the regulator housing, then discard the screws.
- Remove the pressure regulator assembly, gasket and O-ring. Discard the gasket and the O-ring.
If scraping is necessary, be careful not to damage the fuel pressure regulator or fuel rail gasket surfaces.
- Lubricate the new fuel pressure regulator O-ring with clean engine oil.
- Ensure that the gasket surfaces of the fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail assembly are clean.
- Install the new O-ring and new gasket on the regulator.
- Using new Allen head retaining screws, install the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail assembly. Tighten the three retaining screws to 34 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Carefully install the regulator side of the fuel rail to the injectors. If the injector(s) were completely disengaged from the fuel rail cup(s), lubricate the injector O-rings with clean engine oil prior to inserting in the fuel rail cups. Push the regulator side of the fuel rail down on the injectors, then tighten the retaining bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm) while holding down the fuel rail.
- Install the vacuum line(s) to the regulator.
- For the 2.5L engine, install the fuel supply manifold shield, then tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.