See Figures 1 and 2
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- For all vehicles except 1991-95 3.0L engines, remove the transaxle from the vehicle.
- For the 1991-95 3.0L engine, remove the engine from the vehicle.
- Remove the flywheel/flexplate attaching bolts and the flywheel.
- The rear cover plate can be removed (manual transmission only).
All major rotating components including the flexplate/flywheel are individually balance to zero. Engine assembly balancing is not required. Balance weights should not be installed on new flywheels.
- Install the rear cover plate, if removed.
Position the flywheel on the crankshaft and install the attaching bolts. For all engines except the SHO, tighten the attaching bolts to 54-64 ft. lbs. (73-87 Nm), using the standard cross-tightening sequence. For the SHO engines, tighten the bolts in two steps:
- Step 1: 29-39 ft. lbs. (39-53 Nm)
- Step 2: 51-58 ft. lbs. (69-79 Nm)
- If removed, install the transaxle.