REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the cylinder head.
- Using a magnet, remove the lifters. Identify, tag and place the lifters in a rack so they can be installed in the original positions.
- If the lifters are stuck in their bores by excessive varnish or gum, it may be necessary to use a hydraulic lifter puller tool to remove the lifters. Rotate the lifters back and forth to loosen any gum and varnish which may have formed. Keep the assemblies intact until the are to be cleaned.
- Install the lifters through the pushrod openings with a magnet.
- Install the cylinder head and related parts.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system and relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel supply manifold and remove the throttle body.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs. Remove the ignition wire/separator assembly from the rocker cover retaining studs.
- Mark the position of the distributor housing and rotor and remove the distributor.
- Remove the rocker arm covers. Loosen the No. 3 intake valve rocker arm retaining bolt to allow the rocker arm to be rotated to 1 side.
- Remove the intake manifold assembly.
- Loosen the rocker arm fulcrum retaining bolt enough to allow the rocker arm to be lifted off the pushrod and rotated to 1 side.
- Remove the pushrod(s). If more than 1 is removed, identify each pushrods location. The pushrods should be installed in their original position during reassembly.
- On 1992 engines equipped with roller lifters, loosen the two roller lifter guide plate retaining bolts. Remove the guide plate retainer assembly from the lifter valley. Remove the lifter guide plate from the lifter by lifting straight up. To remove, grasp the lifter and pull it in line with the bore.
- Remove the lifter(s) using a magnet, as required.
If the lifter(s) are stuck in the bore(s) due to excessive varnish or gum deposits, it may be necessary to use a claw-type tool to aid removal. Rotate the lifter back and forth to loosen it from the gum or varnish that may have formed on the lifter.To install:
- Clean all gasket mating surfaces. Place a rag in the lifter valley to catch any stray gasket material.
- Lubricate each lifter and bore with heavy engine oil. Install the lifter in the bore, checking for free fit.
- If equipped with roller lifters align the lifter flat to the lifter guide plate. Install the plate with the word UP and or button visible. Install the guide retainer assembly over the guide plates. Tighten the bolts to 810 ft. lbs.
- Install the intake manifold and new gaskets. Dip each pushrod end in oil conditioner and install in it's original position.
- For each valve, rotate the crankshaft until the lifter rests on the base circle of the camshaft lobe. Position the rocker arms over the pushrod and valve. Tighten the retaining bolt to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm) to initially seat the fulcrum into the cylinder head and onto the pushrod. Final tighten the bolt to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the rocker arm covers and the distributor.
- Install the throttle body and connect the fuel lines to the fuel supply manifold. Install the safety clips.
- Install the coolant hoses. Fill and bleed the cooling system. Drain and change the crankcase oil.
- Connect the air cleaner hoses to the throttle body and rocker cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for leaks. Check the ignition timing.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the secondary ignition wires at the spark plugs.
- Remove the plug wire routing clips from mounting studs on the rocker arm cover attaching bolts. Lay plug wires with routing clips toward the front of engine.
- Remove the upper intake manifold, rocker arm covers and lower intake manifold.
- Sufficiently loosen each rocker arm fulcrum attaching bolt to allow the rocker arm to be lifted off the pushrod and rotated to one side.
- Remove the pushrods. The location of each pushrod should be identified and labeled. When engine is assembled, each rod should be installed in its original position.
- If equipped with roller lifters, remove the 2 tappet guide plate retainers and 6 guide plates.
- Remove the lifters using a magnet. The location of each lifters should be identified and labeled. When engine is assembled, each lifter should be installed in its original position.
If lifters are stuck in bores due to excessive varnish or gum deposits, it may be necessary to use a hydraulic lifter puller tool to aid removal. When using a remover tool, rotate lifter back and forth to loosen it from gum or varnish that may have formed on the lifter.To install:
- Lightly oil all bolt and stud threads before installation. Using solvent, clean the cylinder head and valve rocker arm cover sealing surfaces.
- Lubricate each lifter and bore with oil conditioner or heavy engine oil.
- Install each lifter in bore from which it was removed. If a new tappet(s) is being installed, check new lifter for a free fit in bore.
- If equipped with roller lifters, align the flats on the sides of the lifters and install the 6 guide plates between the adjacent lifters. Make sure the word "up'' and/or button is showing. Install the 3 guide plate retainers and tighten the 4 bolts to 6-10 ft. lbs. (8-14 Nm).
- Dip each pushrod end in oil conditioner or heavy engine oil. Install pushrods in their original positions.
- For each valve, rotate crankshaft until lifter rests onto heel (base circle) of camshaft lobe. Position rocker arms over pushrods and install the fulcrums. Initially tighten the fulcrum attaching bolts to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm) maximum.
- Lubricate all rocker arm assemblies with suitable heavy engine oil.
- Finally tighten the fulcrum bolts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (26-34 Nm). For the final tightening, the camshaft may be in any position.
Fulcrums must be fully seated in the cylinder head and pushrods must be seated in rocker arm sockets prior to the final tightening.
- Complete the installation of the lower intake manifold, valve rocker arm covers and the upper intake manifold by reversing the removal procedure.
- Install the plug wire routing clips and connect wires to the spark plugs.
- Start the engine and check for oil or coolant leaks.