The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before removing the transaxle assembly. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds or longer before doing any work on the vehicle.
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body.
- Remove the cruise control actuator cover and disconnect the connector, if equipped.
- Remove the ground wire.
- Remove the starter.
- Disconnect speed sensor connectors, direct clutch speed sensor and the Park/Neutral position switch connector on the transaxle.
- Disconnect the solenoid connector on the transaxle.
- Disconnect shift control cable.
- Disconnect oil cooler hoses.
Remove the two front side transaxle mounting bolts.
Remove the two front engine mounting bolts.
- Remove the oil cooler line mounting bolts from the front frame.
Remove the three upper transaxle to engine mounting bolts.
Install a engine support fixture. Tie steering gear housing to engine support fixture.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the transaxle/differential fluid.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the engine side covers and undercovers.
- Disconnect both halfshafts.
Remove the front side engine mounting nut.
Remove the rear side engine mounting bolts (remove hole plugs).
Remove the four left side transaxle mounting bolts.
- Remove the steering gear housing.
- Remove the front frame assembly.
- Properly support the transaxle assembly.
Remove the rear end plate mounting bolts.
- Remove the torque converter cover.
Remove the torque converter retaining bolts.
Remove the remaining transaxle mounting bolts.
- Carefully remove the transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
Install the transaxle aligning the two dowel pins on the block with the converter housing. Torque the bolts as follows:
10mm bolts: 34 ft. lbs. (46 Nm)
- Coat the threads of the torque converter bolts with sealer. Install the bolts starting with the green bolt followed by the rest and torque the bolts evenly to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the rear end plate and torque the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
Install the front frame assembly and torque the fasteners as follows:
12mm bolts: 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm)
- Install the two fender liner set screws.
- Connect the steering gear to the frame and torque the bolts and nuts to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm).
- Connect the sway bar brackets and toque the bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the left transaxle mounting bolts and torque them to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
- Install the rear side mounting bolts and nuts and torque them to 48 ft. lbs. (66 Nm). Install the plugs.
- Install the front engine mounting nut and torque it to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the halfshafts.
- Install the right and left engine side covers.
- Install the lower engine cover.
- Fill the transaxle/differential to the proper level with Dexron II® or equivalent.
- Install the exhaust pipe to the engine with new gaskets and torque the nuts to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm). Connect the exhaust pipe to the converter with a new gasket and torque the nuts and bolts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Install the wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Remove the engine support.
- Install the four upper transaxle mounting bolts and torque them to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Install the oil cooler clamping bolts to the front frame.
- Install the two front side engine mounting bolts and torque them to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the two front side transaxle mounting bolts and torque them to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the remaining components. Install the battery and connect the battery cables.
- Check the transaxle/differential fluid level.
- Check the front wheel alignment.