Lexus ES300 1993-1997
On models with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.
Removal & Installation
Lexus ES300 1992-1997
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle, support it on safety stands and then remove the engine undercovers.
- Remove the 2 front exhaust pipe stay bolts. Disconnect the front pipe from the center pipe and remove the gasket. Loosen the 3 nuts and then remove the front pipe.
- Disconnect the O 2 sensor at the right side manifold. Remove the 3 mounting nuts and lift off the outside heat insulator.
Remove the 6 nuts and lift off the right side manifold and gasket.
Loosen the 2 nuts and bolt and lift off the left side heat insulator. Remove the 6 nuts and lift off the left side manifold and gaskets.
- Scrape the mating surfaces of all old gasket material.
- Install the right manifold with a new gasket. Tighten the nuts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm). Install the outer insulator.
- Use a new gasket and install the left manifold. Tighten the nuts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm). Install the outer insulator.
- Install the front exhaust pipe and tighten the manifold-to-pipe nuts to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm). Tighten the pipe-to-converter nuts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
- Connect the O 2 sensor, install the undercovers and then lower the vehicle. Connect the battery cable.