Adjust the valve clearance when the engine is cold.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the accelerator/throttle cable from the throttle linkage.
- Remove the air intake chamber.
- On the 3VZ-FE engine, remove the V-bank cover with a 5mm Allen wrench.
- Remove the cylinder head covers.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley and align it's groove with the timing mark 0 of the No. 1 timing cover.
- Check that the valve lash adjusters on the No. 1 intake are loose and the exhaust are tight. If not, turn the crankshaft on complete revolution (360 degrees).
Measure the clearance between the valve lash adjuster and the camshaft. Record the measurements on valves No. 1, 2, 3 and 6.
- The intake valve clearance cold is 0.005-0.009 in. (0.13-0.23mm).
- The exhaust valve clearance cold is 0.011-0.015 in. (0.27-0.37mm).
- Turn the crankshaft 2 / 3 of a revolution (240 degrees) and check the clearance on valves No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 and record.
- Turn the crankshaft another 2 / 3 of a revolution and check valves; No. 1, 4, 5 and 6 and record.
- Remove the adjusting shim and turn the crankshaft to position the cam lobe of the camshaft on the adjusting valve upward. Press down the valve lash adjuster with the proper tool and place the proper tool between the camshaft and the valve lash adjuster. Remove the tool.
- Remove the adjusting shim with the proper tool.
- Use the accompanying charts to determine the correct size replacement shim. Install the specified valve shim on the valve lash adjuster with the proper tool.
- Recheck the valve clearance.
- Install the cylinder head covers and intake chamber.
Connect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONOn models with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.