Removal & Installation
The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before removing the ball joint. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely.
- Remove the front wheel(s).
- Remove side fender apron seal, as applicable.
- Remove the steering knuckle with the axle hub from the vehicle.
- Pry the dust deflector from the knuckle.
- Remove the cotter pin and the nut from the ball joint stud.
Using SST 09628-62011 or equivalent, remove the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Install the lower ball joint onto the steering knuckle and tighten nut to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm). Install new cotter pin.
- Align the hole in the dust deflector with the ABS speed sensor. Using the appropriate driver, install a new dust deflector.
- Install the steering knuckle and hub onto the vehicle.
- Install the fender apron seal.
- Install the front wheel(s).
- Connect the negative battery cable.