Removal & Installation
Lexus ES300 1992-1996
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely. Remove the front wheels.
- Remove both right and left side fender apron seals.
- Disconnect the right and left tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Remove stabilizer bar links (nuts) from each control arm.
- Remove the right and left sway bar bushing retainers and the bushings.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the rack and pinion mounting bolts and nuts.
Lift up the rack and pinion and remove the stabilizer bar from the vehicle.
- Lift the rack and pinion and install bar into position.
- Install the rack and pinion mounting bolts and nuts and torque to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm).
- Install the front exhaust pipe with new gaskets.
- Install the left and the right stabilizer bar retainers and bushings. Secure the retainers with the retaining bolts. Torque the retainer bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install both side stabilizer bar links and torque the nuts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Connect both side tie rod ends to the steering knuckles and tighten the nuts to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm). Install new cotter pins.
- Install the left and the right fender apron seals.
- Install the front wheels.
Lexus ES300 1997-1999
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely.
Remove the right and left front wheels.
Remove the left and right stabilizer bar links.
Remove the left and right brackets and bushings.
- Remove the stabilizer bar.
Installation is the reverse of removal, noting the following:
- Tighten the bracket bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm). Install the bushing to the inside of the bushing on the stabilizer bar.
- Tighten the stabilizer bar link nuts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).