Lexus ES250 1990-1991
Lexus ES300 1992-1999
Temporarily install the bolt and nuts to the lower bracket of the strut to support it and secure the strut in a vise.
- Compress the coil spring using spring compressor 09727-30020 or equivalent.
- Secure the spring seat using 09729-22031 or equivalent and remove the upper strut retaining nut.
- Remove the suspension support, upper insulator, spring, bumper and the insulator.
- Install the lower insulator.
- Install the bumper to the piston rod.
- Install the coil spring end into the gap of the lower seat.
- Install the upper insulator.
Install the upper support to the piston rod, aligning it with the groove in the strut rod.
- Install the spring seat. Tighten the new upper strut retaining nut to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Remove the strut from the vise and disassemble the securing nuts and bolt.
Removal & Installation
Lexus ES300 1992-1996
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- If equipped with ABS, disconnect the ABS speed sensor connector and brake line from the strut housing. Do not remove the brake line from the brake caliper.
Disconnect the strut assembly from the steering knuckle by removing the two nuts and bolts.
- Remove the three upper mounting nuts from the strut tower and remove the strut assembly.
- Rotate the upper support so the lowest bolt on the support aligns with the projection part of the lower spring.
- Install the strut and torque the strut to body bolts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Connect the strut to the steering knuckle and torque the bolts to 156 ft. lbs. (211 Nm).
- Run the brake hose through the brake hose bracket and install the clip.
- Connect the ABS speed sensor and torque the mounting bolt to 48 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Connect the brake line to the strut housing and torque the bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
- Install the wheel.
- Check the front alignment.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Lexus ES300 1997-1999
- Remove the front wheel.
Remove the flexible hose and the ABS speed sensor wire harness and clamp from the shock absorber.
- Remove the bolt, flexible hose and ABS wire harness clamp.
- Disconnect the stabilizer bar link from the shock absorber.
Disconnect the shock absorber from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the 2 nuts and bolts on the lower side of the shock absorber.
- Remove the shock absorber from the steering knuckle.
- Without Electronic Modulated Suspension:
- With Electronic Modulated Suspension:
- Disconnect the absorber control actuator sub-wire harness connector.
- Remove the 3 nuts and shock absorber cap.
- Slide the grommet and remove the clip.
- Disconnect the absorber control actuator connector.
Using SST 09817-33190, loosen the nut in middle of the suspension support. Do not remove the nut.
Installation is the reverse of removal, noting the following:
- Install the 3 nuts and shock absorber with the coil spring. Tighten nuts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Rotate the suspension support and set it in the direction shown in the illustration.
Tighten the nut in middle of the suspension support to 26 ft. lbs. (36 Nm) using SST (09817-33190, 09922-10010) in direction shown in the illustration. Use a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 13.58 inches (345 mm) with SST (09817-33190, 09922-10010).
- Install the shock absorber cap and tighten the 3 nuts to 9 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Install the suspension support No. 2, and shock absorber with the coil spring and tighten the 3 nuts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Tighten 2 nuts and bolts on the lower side of the shock absorber: 156 ft. lbs. (211 Nm). Coat the threads of the nut with engine oil.
- Tighten flexible hose and ABS wire harness clamp bolt: 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).