Lexus ES300 1992-1996
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONBefore servicing components near or affected by the SRS (air bag) system, read and observe all SRS Service Precautions. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), in the Chassis Electrical section. Failure to observe all precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes for the SRS memory to drain.
Remove the A/C unit:
- Discharge refrigerant from refrigeration system.
- Drain engine coolant from radiator. It is not necessary to drain out all the coolant.
Disconnect the water valve control cable from the water valve.
- Disconnect the water hoses from the heater core (heater radiator) pipes.
- Remove the instrument panel and reinforcement. Refer to Instrument Panel Removal & Installation in the Body Interior section.
- Remove the blower unit.
- Disconnect the liquid and suction tubes from the block joint. Cap the open fittings immediately to keep moisture or dirt out of the system.
- Remove the rear air ducts.
- Remove the 2 clips and the heater protector.
- Disconnect connectors from the A/C unit.
Remove the 3 nuts and the A/C unit.
Remove the 2 clips and heater protector.
- Remove the heater core:
Installation is the reverse of removal, noting the following when installing the A/C unit:
- Lubricate 2 new O-rings with compressor oil when installing the tubes.
- Tighten the tube bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Push the water hose onto the heater radiator pipe as far as the ridge on the pipe and install the hose clip.
- Set the temperature control switch to -COOL-.
- Set the water valve lever to -COOL-, install the control cable, and lock the clamp.
- Evacuate air from refrigeration system.
- Charge system with refrigerant and inspect for leakage of refrigerant.
Lexus ES300 1997-1999
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 90 seconds before doing any further work while the airbag system de-energizes.
- Drain the cooling system into a clean container for reuse.
- Remove the 2 hood release lever screws and the lever.
- Remove the No. 1 lower panel-to-instrument panel bolt/screw, disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the No. 1 lower panel.
- Remove the lower left hand panel.
- Remove the 3 heater protector clips and remove the heater protector.
- Remove the 2 screws and the 2 clamps holding the heater core in place.
- Remove the heater core hoses and discard the O-rings.
Remove the pull out heater core from the heater housing.
- Install the heater core to the heater housing.
- Install the heater core hoses using new O-rings.
- Install the 2 clamps and the 2 screws holding the heater core in place.
- Install the heater protector and connect the 3 heater protector clips.
- Install the lower left hand panel.
- Install the No. 1 lower panel, connect the electrical connectors and install the No. 1 lower panel-to-instrument panel bolt/screw
- Install the hood release lever and the 2 lever screws.
- Refill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Operate the engine to normal operating temperatures; then, check the climate control operation and check for leaks.