Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONBefore servicing components near or affected by the SRS (air bag) system, read and observe all SRS Service Precautions. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), in the Chassis Electrical section. Failure to observe all precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes for the SRS memory to drain.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers by removing the five screws.
- Remove the two nuts securing the upper steering column to the dash panel support and carefully lower the steering column assembly.
- Place the ignition key in the ACC position. push down the stop pin with a small, flat tool and pull out the key cylinder.
- Install the key cylinder making sure that it is in the ACC position. The key cylinder should snap into place as it passes the locking mechanism. Move the key through all the positions to ensure smooth and proper operation.
- Reattach the upper steering column to the dash panel support and secure with the two nuts.
- Reinstall the upper and lower column covers with the 5 screws.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable and check for proper operation.