Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONBefore servicing components near or affected by the SRS (air bag) system, read and observe all SRS Service Precautions. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), in the Chassis Electrical section. Failure to observe all precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes for the SRS memory to drain.
- Remove the instrument lower finish panel from the driver-s side of the vehicle.
- Loosen the four steering column assembly set nuts. Lower the steering column enough to remove the column covers.
- Remove the steering column covers by removing the screws in the lower cover.
- Remove the ignition switch electrical connector.
Remove the column upper bracket and column upper clamp as follows:
- Using a punch, mark the center of the two tapered head bolts.
- Using a 0.12-0.16 inch (3-4mm) drill, drill into the two bolts.
- Using a screw extractor, remove the two bolts.
If replacing the key cylinder, follow the following steps:
- Place the ignition key at the ACC position.
- Push down the stop pin with a thin rod and pull out the key cylinder.
- Remove the ignition switch as follows:
- Install the ignition key to the column upper bracket by installing the one screw.
- Connect the key unlock warning switch connector.
- Place the key unlock warning switch wire in place and install the two screws.
- With the ignition switch is the ACC position, install the ignition key to the column upper bracket.
- Place the upper and lower bracket in place and install the two tapered head bolts. Tighten the bolts until the bolt heads break off.
- Install the ignition switch electrical connector to the ignition switch.
- Install the upper and lower column cover and then install the screws.
- Tighten and torque the steering column assembly nuts to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the instrument lower finish panel to the driver-s side and install the screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.