Removal & Installation
The combination switch incorporates the headlight switch, turn signal switch, dimmer switch and the windshield wiper switch.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONBefore servicing components near or affected by the SRS (air bag) system, read and observe all SRS Service Precautions. Refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), in the Chassis Electrical section. Failure to observe all precautions may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 3 minutes for the SRS memory to drain.
- Position the front wheels in a straight-ahead position.
- Remove the instrument panel No. 1 undercover sub-assembly.
- Remove the instrument panel lower finish panel and cluster finish panel.
Remove the steering wheel center pad.
NOTEWhen removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the air bag harness connector. When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward. Since the air bag connector has a 2-stage lock, remove the 1st stage lock and disconnect the connector.
- Remove the steering wheel assembly.
- Remove the steering column covers.
- Remove the combination switch retaining screws. Disconnect the connectors and remove the combination switch assembly from the steering column.
- Loosen the mounting screws and the turn signal switch from the switch body.
Separate the bracket from the wiper switch body. Remove the wiper switch from the switch body.
- Install the wiper switch to the switch body and connect the mounting bracket.
- Install the turn signal switch to the switch body and tighten the mounting screws.
- Install the combination switch assembly to the steering column and tighten the mounting screws.
Connect the electrical connectors. Push in the terminals until they are securely locked in the connector lug.
NOTEThe spiral cable matchmarks must be aligned for correct installation with the front wheels in the straight head position.
- Install both steering column covers.
Center the spiral cable as follows:
- Check that the front wheels are facing straight ahead.
- Turn the cable counterclockwise by hand until it becomes harder to turn the cable.
- Rotate the cable clockwise about three turns to align the red mark.
- Install the steering wheel, using the proper tool.
- Connect the air bag connector and replace the 1st stage lock.
- Install the cluster finish panel. Install the steering wheel center pad and connect the wire connector.
- Install the lower instrument trim panel and cover assembly.
- Enable the SRS system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.