- Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" position and disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 20 seconds or longer before doing any work on the vehicle.
- Remove the air cleaner case and hose.
- If equipped, remove the cruise control actuator and bracket.
- Remove the clutch release (slave) cylinder.
- Remove the starter.
Remove the clutch accumulator and tube clamp:
- Remove the two bolts and clutch accumulator with bracket.
- Remove the bolt and clutch tube clamp.
- Disconnect the backup light switch electrical connector.
- Disconnect the wire clamps from the transaxle.
- Remove the clutch release cylinder bracket.
- Disconnect the ground cables from the transaxle.
- Disconnect the control cables from the transaxle.
Remove the three upper transaxle mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the speed sensor electrical connector.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the undercovers and side covers.
- Drain the transaxle oil.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the halfshafts.
- Disconnect the sway bar bushing brackets.
- Disconnect the steering gear from the front suspension crossmember and suspend it.
Remove the stiffener plate.
Remove the engine mounting absorber.
- Remove the clutch inspection plate.
- Remove the front engine mounting set bolts and nut.
Remove the rear engine mounting set nuts.
- Remove the left engine mounting bolts and nuts:
- Remove the power steering cooler pipe mounting bolts.
- Remove the left and right fender liner set bolts.
- Remove the front suspension member.
- Support the engine with a suitable jack.
- Remove the transaxle mounting bolts.
- Lower the left side of the engine and remove the transaxle.
Align the input shaft spline with the clutch disc and install the transaxle. Tighten the bolts to the following specifications:
- Install the front suspension member and torque the four main bolts to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm). Torque the outer four bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm) and nut to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Install the left and right fender liner screws.
- Install the power steering cooler pipe mounting bolts.
- Install the left engine mount and torque the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm) and nuts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm). Install the hole plugs.
- Install the front engine mount set bolts and torque them to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Install the engine shock absorber and torque the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Install the clutch inspection plate. Torque the four outer bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) and two inner bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Connect the steering gear to the front suspension crossmember and torque the bolts and nuts to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm).
- Install the sway bar brackets and torque the bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Install the halfshafts. Install the remaining components.
- Fill the transaxle to the proper level with the recommended oil.
- Install the front wheels.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the front wheel alignment.