Do not attempt to remove or install the steering wheel by hammering on it. Damage to the energy-absorbing steering column could result.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds before performing any work on the steering wheel with an air bag.
CAUTIONThe Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- If equipped with an air bag, remove the steering wheel as follows;
- Remove the steering wheel screw covers.
- Using a Torx®, loosen the screws until the groove trailing the screw circumference catches on the screw case.
- Pull the wheel pad out from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag connector. Store the wheel pad with the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
- Remove the steering wheel nut. Place matchmarks on the wheel and steering shaft.
Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
If equipped with an air bag, install the steering wheel as follows:
- Install the steering wheel to the vehicle and making sure to align the matchmarks. Install and torque the nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- Connect the air bag connector and install the steering pad.
Torque the Torx® screws to:
1992-97 models: 78 inch lbs. (9 Nm).