REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The liftgate removal and installation is a two-person operation and should not be attempted alone.
- Scribe the location of each hinge's roof frame and bolt locations, then remove the hinge-to-roof frame attachments at both hinges.
- Remove the gas lifts/support cylinders, following the procedure later in this section.
- Remove the hinge-to-roof frame screw or bolt and washer assembly (depending on vehicle application) at each hinge.
- Remove the liftgate from the vehicle.
- Position the hinges to the scribe marks on the roof frame, then reverse the removal procedures. Tighten the hinge-to-roof screw/bolt and washer assemblies to 3.8-5.0 ft. lbs. (5-7 Nm).
The station wagon liftgate latch has double-bolt construction, designed to be equivalent in function and load capacity to side door latches. The latch is non-adjustable. All movement for adjustment is accomplished in the striker which has a 0.22 in. (5.5mm) radial range. This latch system has a two-position latching system. The closing latch cycle consists of a secondary position which latches the liftgate, but does not seal the door to the liftgate weatherstrip. The primary position holds the liftgate door firmly against the weatherstrip. Water leaks and rattles may occur even though the liftgate appears closed, if it is only closed to the secondary (first) position. Be sure that positive primary engagement of the liftgate latch is achieved upon closing. To check it, use the following procedure:
LATCH FUNCTION TEST
- Close the liftgate to an assumed primary condition.
- Insert the key into the key cylinder. Place your left hand on the liftgate glass above and left of the key cylinder. Press firmly on the glass with your left hand and slowly turn the key until the latch is released. Return the key and release your left hand pressure. The liftgate should be in the secondary position.
- If this test indicates that the liftgate will not close to the primary position, adjust the striker rearward (rear of the vehicle) so that a positive primary engagement is obtained upon closing the liftgate.