Removal & Installation
Use of any other than approved DOT 3 motor vehicle brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.
- Remove the air cleaner outlet tube and the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the negative, then the positive battery cables.
- Remove the battery and battery tray.
- Disconnect the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) module electrical connector.
- Disconnect the 6 brake tube fittings.
- Remove the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) bracket.
- Remove the 3 HCU bracket-to-frame bolts and the HCU.
Remove the 3 HCU bracket-to-HCU bolts and separate the HCU from the bracket.
NOTEMake sure the HCU and ABS module are clean and free of any brake fluid or foreign material before separating the components.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Observe the following tightening specifications:
- HCU bracket-to-HCU bolts: 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.)
- HCU bracket-to-frame bolts: 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.)
- HCU bracket: 23 Nm (17 ft. lbs.)
- Brake master cylinder tubes: 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.)
- Remaining tubes: to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.)
- Bleed the brake system