Drain the fuel tank, as follows:
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined in this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Release the fuel tank filler cap and position it aside.
- Insert a suitable fuel drain tube into the fuel tank filler pipe until it reaches the fuel tank inlet spout.
Attach the fuel storage tanker to the fuel drain tube and remove any residual fuel remaining in the fuel tank filler pipe.
WARNINGThe fuel pump module, fuel level sensor (if equipped) and the fuel tank inlet spout are below the fuel level when the fuel tank is completely full. Make sure to drain any residual fuel from the fuel tank filler pipe prior to removing the fuel tank filler pipe clamp and hose.
Release the fuel tank filler pipe hose-to-fuel tank inlet spout clamp. To install, tighten to 4 Nm (35 inch lbs.).
NOTEThe fuel tank filler pipe might contain some residual fuel remaining in it after draining. After disconnecting the fuel tank filler pipe hose, carefully drain the residual fuel into a suitable container.
- Remove the fuel tank filler pipe hose from the fuel tank inlet spout.
- Insert a suitable fuel drain tube into the fuel tank inlet spout.
- Attach the fuel storage tanker to the fuel drain tube and drain the fuel from the fuel tank.
On All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles only, perform the following additional fuel draining steps:
- Remove the rear seats.
- Position aside the carpet and any insulation covering the fuel level sensor access cover.
- Remove the 4 screws and the fuel level sensor access cover.
Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector.
NOTEPlace absorbent pads in the general work area in case of fuel spillage.
- Clean the surrounding area of the fuel level sensor mounting flange.
- Release the lock tab, and using a suitable tool, rotate the fuel level sensor counterclockwise approximately 1/4 turn, lift and position aside.
- Install a suitable fuel drain tube into the fuel level sensor aperture in the fuel tank.
- Completely drain the remaining fuel from the RH side of the fuel tank.
For All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles:
- Remove the muffler and tailpipe.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Install a suitable lifting device under the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the fuel tank wiring harness electrical connector.
- Disconnect the fuel tank pressure transducer electrical connector.
- Disconnect the fuel vapor tube assembly-to-fuel tank quick connect coupling. z
- Disconnect the fuel tank supply tube-to-fuel supply tube quick connect coupling.
Remove the 2 emergency brake cable bracket-to-fuel tank flange bolts and position cables aside.
WARNINGRemove all retaining bolts to lower the fuel tank. Fuel tank damage can occur if all of the bolts are not removed.
Remove the 2 fuel tank bracket bolts and the 4 fuel tank bolts.
NOTEFor AWD models, you must position the fuel tank forward, past the Rear Differential Unit (RDU), then lowered.
- Completely lower and remove the fuel tank.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following tightening specifications: