Removal & Installation
Observe all applicable safety precautions when working around fuel. Whenever servicing the fuel system, always work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow fuel spray or vapors to come in contact with a spark or open flame. Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher near the work area. Always keep fuel in a container specifically designed for fuel storage; also, always properly seal fuel containers to avoid the possibility of fire or explosion.
Do not carry personal electronic devices such as cell phones, pagers or audio equipment of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure, even when the engine is not running. Before servicing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, which may cause personal injury or a fire hazard.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined in this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Release the fuel tank filler cap and position aside.
- Insert a suitable fuel drain tube into the fuel tank filler pipe until it reaches the fuel tank inlet spout.
- Attach the fuel storage tanker to the fuel drain tube and remove any residual fuel remaining in the fuel tank filler pipe.
- Remove the rear seat.
- Position the carpet and/or any insulation covering the fuel pump module access cover aside.
- Remove the 4 screws and the fuel pump module access cover.
- Disconnect the fuel pump module electrical connector.
Disconnect the fuel tank supply tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling.
WARNINGPlace absorbent pads on the floor pan in the immediate area in case of fuel spills. Carefully remove the fuel pump module from the vehicle to avoid fuel spillage inside the vehicle.
Using the special tool, remove the fuel pump module lock ring retainer.
On All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, perform the following:
WARNINGThe fuel pump module must be handled carefully to avoid damage to the fuel pump module and/or float arm.
Carefully lift the fuel pump module out of the fuel tank enough to access and disconnect the fuel tank crossover tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling.
WARNINGThe fuel pump module will have residual fuel remaining internally, drain into a suitable container.
- Carefully lift the fuel pump module out of the fuel tank enough to access and disconnect the fuel tank crossover tube-to-fuel pump module quick connect coupling.
Completely remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank.
WARNINGInspect the mating surfaces of the fuel pump module flange and the fuel tank O-ring seal contact surfaces. Do not polish or adjust the O-ring seal contact area of the fuel tank flange or the fuel tank. Install a new fuel pump module or fuel tank if the O-ring seal contact area is bent, scratched or corroded.
WARNINGMake sure to install a new fuel pump module O-ring seal. Install a new lock ring if it is bent, damaged or corroded.
NOTEApply clean engine oil to the O-ring seal before installing the O-ring.
Remove the fuel pump module O-ring seal.
NOTEMake sure the alignment tab on the fuel pump module and the fuel tank meet before tightening the fuel pump module lock ring.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.