Raise and safely support the vehicle.
WARNINGA new Power Transfer Unit (PTU) intermediate shaft seal must be installed whenever the intermediate shaft or PTU is removed from the vehicle. Refer to the procedure in this section.
- Remove the intermediate shaft.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the exhaust flexible pipe and the RH catalytic converter.
- Remove the 2 PTU-to-support bracket bolts.
- Remove the 3 PTU support bracket bolts and the PTU support bracket.
- Remove the 5 PTU-to-transaxle bolts.
Separate the PTU from the transaxle. Remove the PTU.
- Position the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) to the transaxle. Install the 5 PTU-to-transaxle bolts. Tighten to 90 Nm (66 ft. lbs.).
Position the PTU support bracket into place and hand tighten the 5 PTU support bracket bolts:
- Tighten the bolts to the transaxle.
- Tighten the bolts to the engine.
- Tighten to 70 Nm (52 ft. lbs.).
- Install the intermediate shaft.
- Install the driveshaft.
- Install the exhaust flexpipe and RH catalytic converter.
- Fill the PTU, if necessary.