REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Note the radio security code and station presets.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the coolant from the radiator, into a suitable container.
- Remove the timing belt. refer to the Timing Belt replacement in this section for specific details.
- On Odyssey models with the V6 engine, remove the timing belt tensioner. refer to the Timing Belt replacement in this section for specific details.
- Remove the bolts that attach the pump to the cylinder block.
If available, locate the two 6.0 mm x 1.0 mm threaded holes opposite from one another on the outer perimeter of the water pump.
- Install by hand, two 6.0mm x 1.0mm bolts at least 1 in. (25mm) long, until resistance is felt.
- Simultaneously turn each bolt one turn at a time until the water pump can be released from the engine block.
- Remove the water pump.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Inspect and clean the O-ring mating surface on cylinder block.
- Install a new O-ring on the water pump. Apply a non-hardening gasket sealant between the water pump O-ring and the pump to hold the O-ring in place during assembly.
- Install the water pump onto the cylinder block and tighten the bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- On Odyssey models with the V6 engine, install the automatic timing belt tensioner, with the tensioner fully retracted using the special tool 14540-P8A-A01 or equivalent. refer to the Timing Belt replacement in this section for specific details.
- Install the timing belt.
- On 4-cylinder Odyssey models, open the cooling system bleed bolt located on the thermostat housing.
- Set the heater to the full hot position.
- Refill the radiator with a coolant mixture containing 50% antifreeze. Use only antifreeze formulated to prevent the corrosion of aluminum parts. Fill the radiator with the coolant solution.
- On 4-cylinder Odyssey models, fill with coolant until the bleed bolt is free of air bubbles. Then, tighten the bleed bolt to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the radiator cap loosely.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Run the engine until the cooling fans cycle two times.
- Turn the engine OFF and top off the cooling system as necessary.
- Install the radiator cap and check for coolant leaks. Be sure the cooling fan turns on.
- Recheck the coolant level and add more if necessary.
- Enter the radio security code.