Before beginning this procedure, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section. Only a MVAC-trained, EPA-certified, automotive technician should service the A/C system or its components.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Recover the refrigerant., as outlined in this section
- Remove the alternator, as outlined in the Engine Electrical Section.
- Remove the idler pulley.
Disconnect the compressor electrical connectors.
NOTESome system pressure may still exist in the A/C compressor crankcase after you evacuate the system.
- Remove the compressor hose assembly bolt from the compressor.
- Remove the compressor hose assembly block from the compressor.
- Remove the compressor mounting bolts from the compressor.
- Remove the compressor .
Drain and measure the compressor oil, as follows:
NOTEDrain and measure as much of the refrigerant oil as possible from the removed compressor.
- Drain the oil from both the suction and discharge ports of the removed compressor into a clean, graduated container. Rotate the compressor shaft to assist in draining the compressor.
- Measure and record the amount of oil drained from the removed compressor. This measurement will be used during installation of the replacement compressor.
Properly discard the used refrigerant oil.
NOTEThe refrigerant oil in the A/C system must be balanced during compressor replacement.
- The replacement compressor is shipped with 240 ml (8.0 oz) of refrigerant oil.
- Before installing the compressor, the refrigerant oil will have to be partially drained:
- Refer to the amount of refrigerant oil recorded during the compressor removal.
- Subtract the amount recorded from the total system capacity.
- The difference between the total system capacity and the recorded amount is the calculated amount to be drained from the replacement compressor.
- Drain the calculated amount of refrigerant oil from the replacement compressor.
- Install the compressor mounting bolts to the compressor and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the compressor hose assembly block to the compressor.
- Install the compressor hose assembly bolt to the compressor. Tighten the bolt to 24 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
- Connect the compressor electrical connectors.
- Install the idler pulley.
- Install the alternator.
- Evacuate and recharge the A/C system.
- Leak test the fittings of the components.
5.3L & 6.0L Engines
Before beginning this procedure, refer to the precautions at