The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. The paper filter element traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel filler cap, if not already done.
- Remove the fuel pump assembly.
- Remove the fuel filter from the fuel pump assembly. Replace the seals or O-rings.
- Install the new fuel filter to the fuel pump assembly along with new seals or O-rings.
- Install the fuel pump assembly.
- Install the fuel filler cap.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.