- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Position a fluid catch pan under the power steering gear.
Remove or disconnect the following:
WARNINGDo not try to separate a steering linkage joint by driving a wedge between the joint and the attached part. Doing this can cause seal damage and premature failure of the part.
Front tire and wheel assemblies
Outer tie rods from the steering knuckles using a suitable steering linkage and tie rod puller
Support the power steering gear.
Power steering gear mounting bolts, then remove the gear from the vehicle
- Loosen the outer tie rod jam nuts, then remove the outer tie rods from the inner tie rods and discard the jam nut.
- Lubricate the inner tie rod threads with a suitable lubricant before installing the outer tie rod.
Install or connect the following:
New jam nuts to the outer tie rods
Remove the support from the power steering gear.
Power steering hose(s) to the gear. Tighten the retaining bolt to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Remove the drain pan, then lower the vehicle.
- Bleed the power steering system and adjust the front toe as necessary.