Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper.
- Remove the rear wheel speed sensor.
Remove the rear axle housing cover and the gasket.
Remove the pinion shaft locking bolt.
- On axles without a locking differential, remove the pinion shaft.
- On axles with a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion shaft touches the housing.
- On axles with a locking differential, use a screwdriver, or a similar tool, in order to enter the differential case and rotate the C-lock until the C-lock aligns with the thrust block.
Push the flange of the axle shaft toward the differential.
Remove the C-lock from the button end of the axle shaft.
NOTEWhen removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make the installing of the axle shaft difficult.
- Remove the axle shaft from the housing. If the axle is difficult to remove, use the J-45859 (1) and the J-2619-01 (2) to remove the axle shaft from the housing.
To remove the seal only, use a suitable seal remover.
- To remove the axle shaft seal and the bearing together from the axle housing, use special tools J-45857 (1) and J-2619-01 (2).
- Using the J-23690 (1) and the J-8092 (2), install the axle shaft bearing.
- Drive the axle shaft bearing into the axle housing until the tool bottoms against the tube.
- Using the J-21128, install the axle shaft seal.
Drive the tool into the bore until the axle shaft seal bottoms flush with the tube.
WARNINGCarefully insert the axle shaft in order to not damage the seal.
- Install the axle shaft into the rear axle housing.
- Slide the axle shaft into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear.
- On axles without a locking differential, place the C-lock on the button end of the axle shaft.
- On axles with a locking differential, keep the pinion shaft partially withdrawn.
- On axles with a locking differential, place the C-lock on the axle shaft so that the ends are flush with the thrust block.
- Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the C-lock in the differential gear.
- Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the bolt hole in the differential case.
Install the new pinion shaft locking bolt:
NOTEThe axle housing gasket is reusable. Replace only if damaged.
For the 8.0/8.6 inch axle, tighten the pinion shaft locking bolt to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Install the axle housing cover gasket and axle housing cover.
Install the mounting bolts:
For the 9.5 inch axle, tighten the rear axle housing cover bolts in a crosswise pattern to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the drain plug and tighten to 24 inch lbs. (33 Nm).
Fill the rear axle with the proper axle lubricant as follows:
For the 8.0 and 8.6 inch axles, the lubricant level should be between 0-0.4 inch (0-10mm) below the fill plug opening.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Install the rear wheel speed sensor.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Fill the rear axle with axle lubricant. Use the proper fluid.
- Lower the vehicle.