Removal & Installation
A special anti-seize compound is used on the oxygen sensor threads. This compound consists of a liquid graphite and glass beads. The graphite will burn away, but the glass beads will remain, making the sensor easier to remove. New or service sensors will already have the compound applied to the threads. If a sensor is removed from any engine and if for any reason it is to be reinstalled, the threads must have anti-seize compound applied before reinstallation.
Silicone based products will contaminate the HO2S
Although there are two different Heated Oxygen sensors (front and rear), the procedure is the same for both.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the wiring harness electrical connector from the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S).
- Remove the HO2S from the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe.
- Coat the threads of the HO2S with anti-seize.
- Install the HO2S to the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe and tighten to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- Connect the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.