Removal & Installation
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the upper intake manifold.
- Remove the heater inlet pipe.
- Disconnect the radiator inlet hose from the thermostat housing.
- Remove the fuel rail assembly.
- Remove the lower intake manifold bolts.
- Remove the lower intake manifold from the engine.
- Remove the rocker arms and push rods.
- Remove the lower intake manifold gaskets.
All gasket mating surfaces must remain free of oil and foreign material. Use GM P/N 12346139 (Canadian P/N 10953463) or equivalent to clean surfaces.
Do not apply Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) sealer to the engine block prior to the installation of the manifold gaskets. RTV sealer is not to be placed under the lower intake manifold gaskets.
- Install the lower intake manifold gaskets.
- Install the rocker arms and push rods.
Install the lower intake manifold seals.
- With the seals in place, apply a small drop 0.31-0.39 in. (8-10 mm) of RTV sealer GM P/N 12346141 (Canadian P/N 10953433).
Install the lower intake manifold to the engine.
NOTEMaximum gasket performance is achieved when using new fasteners, which contain a thread-locking patch. If the fasteners are not replaced, a thread locking chemical must be applied to the fastener threads. Failure to replace the fasteners or apply a thread-locking chemical MAY reduce gasket sealing capability.
NOTEAll lower intake manifold bolts need to be clean, free of foreign materials, and reused only if new bolts are unavailable. Use GM P/N 1234382 (Canadian P/N 10953489) or equivalent and apply to the old intake manifold bolt threads. Manufacturer recommends the center bolts be fully torqued before the diagonal bolts to assure proper torque distribution. Lower intake manifold bolts in locations (6) and (7) should be torqued to specification using a crow-s foot type tool.
Install the lower intake manifold bolts.
Tighten the lower intake manifold bolts in sequence to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm) on the first pass.
- Install the fuel rail assembly.
- Connect the radiator inlet hose to the thermostat housing.
- Install the heater inlet pipe.
- Install the upper intake manifold.
- Fill the cooling system.