Ensure that the fuel level in the tank is less than
full. If necessary, drain the fuel tank to at least this level.
CAUTIONFuel supply lines will remain pressurized for long periods of time after the engine is shutdown. This pressure must be relieved before servicing the fuel system.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the catalytic converter pipe flange to exhaust system pipe flange nuts.
- Separate the pipes and discard the gasket.
- Separate the rubber isolators from the hangers.
- Remove the exhaust system.
- If equipped with All Wheel Drive, remove the driveshaft and driveshaft guard.
Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister.
NOTEClean all fuel pipe connections and surrounding areas before disconnecting the fuel pipes to avoid contamination of the fuel system.
CAUTIONWhenever fuel lines are removed, catch fuel in an approved container. Container opening must be a minimum of 300 mm (12 in.) diameter to adequately catch the fluid.
- Disconnect the chassis fuel supply line from the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the fuel filler tube, EVAP vent hose, and fresh air hose from the fuel tank.
Disconnect the fuel tank electrical connector and remove the electrical connector retainer from the rear frame.
NOTEDo not bend the fuel tank straps. Bending the fuel tank straps may cause damage to the straps.
WARNINGDo not lower the rear frame. It is not necessary to lower the rear frame for fuel tank removal.
- Support the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank strap bolts and fuel tank straps.
- Lower the fuel tank from the underbody of the vehicle.
- Install the fuel tank heat shield and fuel tank assembly to the vehicle.
- Install the fuel tank straps and the fuel tank strap-to-body bolts. Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Connect the fuel tank electrical connector and install the electrical connector retainer to the rear frame.
- Connect the EVAP vent, and fresh air hoses to the fuel tank.
- Connect the fuel filler tube to the fuel tank. Tighten the fuel filler tube clamp to 5 Nm (44 inch lbs.).
- Connect the chassis fuel supply line to the fuel tank.
- Install the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister.
- Install the exhaust system.
- With All Wheel Drive, install the driveshaft and driveshaft guard.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the fuel tank with gasoline.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Prime the fuel system:
- Cycle the ignition ON for 5 seconds and then OFF for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the previous step twice.
- Crank the engine until it starts. The maximum starter motor cranking time is 20 seconds.
- If the engine does not start, repeat the priming procedure.