Diagnosis & Testing
- Check the fuses for the mirror circuit. Verify there is 12 volts at the fuse terminal. If voltage is not present, check the wiring.
- Remove the mirror switch.
- With the ignition OFF, check for continuity between terminal B and ground. If there is no continuity or high resistance, inspect the wire harness for opens.
- With the ignition ON, use a test light and verify it lights when placed between terminal G and ground. If the test light does not illuminate, check the fuse. If the fuse is ok, there is an open in the wiring.
Turn the ignition OFF. Attach the switch to the harness. Detach the electrical connector from the inoperative mirror. Using an ohmmeter, test the resistance between each terminal as follows:
- Terminal 6 and ground while holding the UP position.
- Terminal 1 and ground while holding the DOWN position.
- Terminal 6 and ground while holding the LEFT position.
- Terminal 2 and ground while holding the RIGHT position.
- The ohmmeter should read 5 ohms. If greater than this, check for high resistance/open in the wiring.
Turn the ignition ON. Using a test light, check between each terminal as follows:
- Terminal and ground while holding the UP position.
- Terminal 6 and ground while holding the DOWN position.
- Terminal 2 and ground while holding the LEFT position.
- Terminal 6 and ground while holding the RIGHT position.
- If the test light illuminates in each of the steps but the motor does not work, then the motor is defective. If not, there is a short to ground or an open in the wiring.
- Push the bottom of the mirror at the point furthest from the door while grabbing the upper inboard point of the mirror.
- Pull the mirror glass with light pressure until it comes loose.
Detach the electrical connector (if equipped) and remove the mirror.
- Remove the screws securing the mirror motor. Detach the electrical connector and remove it from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. When installing the mirror glass, apply light pressure while pushing downward and inward until it locks in place.
Refer to the door lock switch removal procedure.