The VSS supplies vehicle speed information to the PCM.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Detach the electrical connector from the VSS sensor.
- Remove the sensor from the transmission or transfer case.
- Remove the O-ring seal.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Coat a new O-ring with transmission fluid. Tighten the bolt to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm) on 2WD models or the sensor to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm) on 4WD models.
- Remove the VSS.
- Connect a digital multimeter set to the 0 to 1 AC volt scale to the terminals.
- Pass a flat steel object across the tip of the sensor repeatedly.
- The digital multimeter should indicate voltage each time the steel object passes the tip of the sensor. If not, replace the sensor.