Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEBefore removing the camshafts, measure the clearance of each valve at base circle, with the lobe pointed away from the tappet. Failure to measure all clearances prior to removing the camshafts will necessitate repeated removal and installation and wasted labor time.
Use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance of each valve and record its location.
NOTEThe number on the valve tappet only reflects the digits that follow the decimal. For example, a tappet with the number 0.650 has the thickness of 3.650 mm.
A midrange clearance is the most desirable:
Intake: 0.22-0.28 mm (0.008-0.011 inch)
- Select tappets using this formula: tappet thickness = measured clearance + the base tappet thickness-most desirable thickness.
- Select the tappets and mark the installation location.
- If any tappets do not measure within specifications, install new tappets in these locations.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEMark the position of the hydraulic lash adjusters to assure they are assembled in their original position
Negative battery cable
- Inspect the adjusters for scoring or uneven wear in the bore and replace them as required.
Install or connect the following:
Hydraulic lash adjusters after lubricating them with clean engine oil