Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Drum brake vehicles:
- Remove the brake shoes.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the brake backing plate. Remove the parking brake cable from the brake backing plate.
- Disconnect the brake line from the wheel cylinder and remove the brake line bracket bolt.
- Disc brake vehicles, remove the parking brake shoes.
Remove and discard the wheel hub nut.
WARNINGDo not use a hammer to separate the outer constant velocity (CV) joint from the hub. Damage to the threads and internal CV joint components can result.
- With 4wd, separate the outer CV-joint from the wheel hub.
- Remove the anti-lock brake system (ABS) wheel speed sensor bolt and the 2 ABS wheel speed sensor wire bolts.
- Remove and position the wheel speed sensor and harness aside.
- Remove the coil spring.
Remove the lower ball joint nut.
NOTEThe joint surfaces must be clean. Clean the general area of the joint to prevent debris from entering the joint. Clean using only mild liquids.
- Reference mark the notch on the cam nut adjustment cam.
- Remove and discard the wheel knuckle bolt.
- Remove and discard the cam nut.
- Remove the wheel knuckle.
The joint area must be free of debris to ensure correct clamping.
The joint surfaces and the bushing sleeve serrations must be clean before assembly.
Clean the joint surfaces and the bushing sleeve serrations with a wire brush.
NOTEAlign the notch on the cam nut with the reference marks.
- Position the wheel knuckle and install a new wheel knuckle bolt and cam nut.
- Using a suitable tool, hold the cam nut stationary while tightening the wheel knuckle bolt. Tighten to 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Position the ABS wheel speed sensor harness and the sensor.
- Position the lower ball joint into the wheel knuckle and install the lower ball joint nut. Tighten to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
- Install the coil spring.
- Install the ABS wheel speed sensor bolt and the 2 ABS wheel speed sensor wire bolts. Tighten to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- With 4wd, install the outer CV joint into the wheel hub.
- Install a new wheel hub nut. Tighten to 214 ft. lbs. (290 Nm).
- Install the brake shoes.
- Connect the brake line to the wheel cylinder. Tighten to 13 ft. lbs. (17 Nm).
- Install the brake line bracket bolt. Tighten to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Connect the parking brake cable to the brake backing plate and install the parking brake cable bracket bolt. Tighten to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the parking brake shoes.
- Check and adjust the wheel alignment as necessary.